“It’s a learning process. We’re here to teach you. Together, we can overcome this.”
Anthony Horne has been with BAEPLEX since he was 8 years old. He started taking Tae Kwon Do with Mr. Bae in Newport News.
“I went with my parents and we got a good vibe, and enrolled immediately,” Horne said.
He earned his black belt when he was 14. In high school, Anthony competed in Tae Kwon Do tournaments.
“People knew about it in school – one of my teachers read an announcement about a tournament over the intercom,” Horne said.
After high school, he began teaching Tae Kwon Do, as well as attending Christopher Newport University with a major in business management.
“I was 19, teaching people twice my age, but I earned their respect. Teaching takes practice and after doing it every day, it just starts to click,” he said.
Anthony finds fulfillment in seeing BAEPLEX members staying active, knowing how to defend themselves and modeling good values. His twin daughters are members and he said he’s pleased with the friendships they’ve made and that they all are part of the community atmosphere at BAEPLEX.
“The most important to know is that it’s not just martial arts, not just kicking. It’s develop a long-lasting relationship with yourself and sticking with it to develop your potential,” he said.
He also teaches kickboxing and group fitness classes, and loves the high energy music that goes with it.
- World Certified 4th Degree Black Belt from Kuk Ki Won
- Director of Fitness
- Assistant Master Instructor
- Student of the Martial Arts for 33 years
- Two-time Junior National Champion
- Seven-time Adult State Champion (Virginia)
- Two-time Collegiate National Champion
- LesMills Certified Group Instructor
- Certified Kickboxing, Weight training, Core Development and Sports Training Instructor